Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top of my TBR

Hello lovely bookish people!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Broke and The Bookish. This week was a freebie week, so I scrolled through the archive of themes and settled on books on top of my TBR pile.


My TBR pile is pretty large because before I get to read all of the books in one place, I move and end up building a new TBR. This list is made up of all books that I own - wherever in the world they may be.

  1. A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara

Just as this book was being spoken a lot, I found that my boyfriend’s sister had bought it and it was just lying about the house. Too bad that I was destined to leave the UK before I even had the chance to pick it up. In the end, I bought it as my last Audible purchase. I’ve listened to the first chapter, but I’m apparently not very into audiobooks at the moment and so haven’t got any further. I’ve heard so many good things about it though, and I can’t wait to finally get my teeth into it.

  1. A Court of Thorns and Roses
  2. A Court of Mist and Fury

I’ve been wanting these books ever since ACOMAF came out but I’ve been trying to save money and make the most of the library. On Saturday, I cracked. I saw that they were reduced on Waterstones’ website and could be delivered to my local branch in time for me to pick them up when I go back to the UK (tomorrow, how exciting!). I cannot wait to read these two because I enjoyed the Throne of Glass series so much and just need more SJM in my life, to be honest. Also I’m pretty excited to finally have them feature on my bookstagram!

  1. How to Be Both - Ali Smith

Winner of the Baileys Women’s Prize in 2015, this book was recommended to me by a very dear friend, who said it was brilliant, and that’s all the persuasion I needed really. I tried starting it, but I wasn’t really feeling it and ended up sending it to the UK ahead of me. I found the writing style very different and interesting, but something just wasn’t clicking at the time. Hopefully the next time I pick it up I’ll feel different and be able to talk to my friend about it until I bore her.

  1. How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran

Caitlin Moran is another author who I will happily read everything from. How to Build a Girl is her first fictional book, and it’s the only one I haven’t read yet. It’s another one that’s waiting for me back in the UK but it’s not long now!

  1. Legend - Marie Lu

I bought this at the same time as buying the first Throne of Glass, and still haven’t got round to picking it up. I’m a bit worried it’ll be exactly like The Hunger Games/Divergent series, but hopefully I’m wrong and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

  1. Girl Up - Laura Bates

I’m yet to receive this book, but I won it through a Maximum Pop competition and I cannot wait to get my hands on it! I haven’t read Everyday Sexism but I do follow the Twitter page, and I will be reading it as soon as possible. My expectations are high for this one. Feminism is very important to me, and it’s good to see someone talking about it in a way that is attractive to everyone, but especially young girls.

  1. Agatha Christie’s Secret Notebooks - John Curran

It’s no secret that I’m an Agatha Christie fan. The obsession started a few years ago when my boyfriend bought me a few books of hers for Christmas - once I finally got round to reading them, I was immediately hooked. Compared to how many books she’s published, I haven’t even scratched the surface, but I’m fine with that. This book is not a biography - although if anyone knows of a good one I would love to hear about it! - but rather an analysis of Christie’s stories, with her own notes on how she developed the storylines. It’s bound to be an interesting read considering how many times she’s fooled me into thinking I know who the murderer is.

  1. The Girl in the Red Coat - Kate Hamer

Back in March, I read Room by Emma Donoghue. It was one of the most chilling books I’ve ever read due to the narrative by a 5 year old child - and I loved it. I was drawn to The Girl in the Red Coat for the same reason; it features a split narrative between a mother and her 8 year old child who gets abducted at a storytelling festival. I haven’t read a psychological thriller in a while, so I’m looking forward to getting back to the UK and picking up this one straight away.

  1. The Talented Mr Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

Patricia Highsmith is widely known for her psychological crime thrillers, and yet I haven’t read a single one of her books?! I happened to pick up The Talented Mr Ripley because it was on sale for £3 in Waterstones because it was ever so slightly damaged, so I still don’t really know what to expect from it.

Have you read any of these books, or are you planning to? Let me know by commenting below! Don’t forget to keep updated with my blog posts by following me on Bloglovin’.

Have a wonderful week!
Zoe