Tuesday, 26 July 2016

List: 4 Ways Bookstagram Changed My Reading Habits

Hello all!

I love bookstagram; I recently reached 200 followers which was a huge milestone for me because I've really struggled with it at times, but now I feel like I've found my groove and I can really make the most of it. Even though I've only been a part of the community for 5 months (where does the time go?), I've already noticed how much of an effect it's had on what I've been reading:

  1. More paperbacks

I love my Kindle, but I fear my Kindle no longer loves me. It sits on the shelf, only to be picked up when it needs to be packed away, or when I want to re-read passages of books I only own as ebooks. It used to be so well used - I would carry it with me everywhere and I loved reading it in the dark, and books were affordable! I could carry 10 books around with my at a time, and I could always get the sequel immediately.

Now though, I will always go for the physical copy first, unless the ebook is significantly cheaper (it usually isn’t), and even then I’ll probably end up buying the physical copy anyway. The truth is, I struggle to take good photos of my Kindle. The covers, however beautiful, are always in black and white and sometimes glare can be really bad. And also, it’s just nicer to have books to keep on your shelf, isn’t it?
  1. Hype

Before bookstagramming, I had a tendency to read hyped books anyway, it was just the method I would find them was different. I would see it in the front of Waterstones, on Buzzfeed Books, or on the shortlists for literary prizes, or my friends would all be talking about it in real life.

Now though, I see thousands of photos of the same book and I see people tweeting about characters and I see fanart and I feel this pull in my gut and I know I need to read this book immediately so I don’t get left out of what is clearly amazing. The problem is that the more books you read because of hype, the more likely you are to be disappointed because your expectations get too high too quickly. One exception to this is of course the Queen Sarah J Maas who I discovered through bookstagram and my life hasn’t been the same since. Thanks, bookstagram.

  1. Aesthetically pleasing covers

Along with hyped books often comes beautiful covers which need to have 15788 photos taken of them and then need to be given pride of the place on the bookshelf for everyone to see. Over the last few months, there has been a dramatic increase in the amount of cover buys: Cinder by Marissa Meyer, The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry, Passenger by Alexandra Bracken, and although I haven’t bought them yet I will eventually snap and buy those sparkly editions of Harry Potter because they beautiful and I need them.
  1. Yay for YA

I read SO MUCH more YA now. Before, I was reading a lot of crime and thriller fiction, some classics, maybe some literary fiction. I’m trying to still read those genres because I really do enjoy them, but I see so much YA on Instagram that I can’t help get sucked in for the aforementioned reasons: hype and beautiful covers. I always thought I was too old for YA but I am so grateful to bookstagram for showing me that I am not and also that YA IS AMAZING.

If you’re a bookstagrammer or book blogger, have you noticed how your reading habits have changed?

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!
Love to you all,