Sunday, 10 July 2016

Weekly Wrap Up #12: Excitement

Hello hello hello! Happy Sunday and well done for making it through the first week of July!

Excitement is the word of the week this week, because exciting things are happening and exciting things are being planned. First of all, this week was the last week of lectures/seminars/exams of my entire Year Abroad. I am finally at the end of my 9 month Year Abroad journey and I couldn’t be happier - if you want to know more about the last 9 months, or you’re looking for tips and info for your Year Abroad, check out my Year Abroad blog series which I will be continuing to write despite not being on my Year Abroad.

If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll already know the next piece of news: I’m going to Paris! At the end of July, me and my boyfriend are travelling to Paris for a week and I could not be more excited. Paris is so iconic and I can’t wait to snap photos and share them with you all and just have a brilliant time.

And finally! Birthday planning. I turn 21 on the 6th August, and have never really had birthday parties because everyone was always on their summer holiday, and then when I was a bit older I was on my summer holidays. This year though, it’s time for a change. Not only are me and my boyfriend having a joint birthday party that lasts a weekend and involves all of our friends, but on my actual birthday I’m going to celebrate with my friends at Brighton Pride!

In bookish news this week:

Read

  • Legend - Marie Lu

This was a book that I picked up because I’d seen it a lot on bookstagram. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive before starting it, because my experience with dystopian fiction has been a bit meh, but because of all the hype I’d seen about Legend I thought it would be different. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case and I ended up giving it a Goodreads rating of 2/5. I didn’t really connect with the characters and the plot felt very familiar, but surprisingly I finished it quite quickly. I was reading and then suddenly I was halfway through, but all the time I’d been complaining to myself about how nothing was really happening, so when I noticed how far in I was, I was really shocked. In the end though, the thing that clinched my disappointment was the complete apathy I felt when I finished it. Usually when I read a book that I know has a sequel, even if I didn’t particularly enjoy the book, I go on to read the sequel(s) anyway for the sake of closure. I was expecting to want to go to the library straight away to pick up the next one and I really couldn’t have cared less, so that sealed the deal for me.

  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J. K. Rowling

I HAVE FINALLY FINISHED READING ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. I honestly don’t know what took me so long. Yes, it’s a big book, but it’s Harry Potter, why didn’t I devour it? I blame Umbridge. Let’s put it down to her evil and vile character.

Like with Goblet of Fire, I really enjoyed being reminded of the small details that were left out in the films, such as Cho and Harry’s failed Valentine’s Day date and the entirety of the scene in Dumbledore’s office with Fudge, Umbridge, and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Despite the fact that Harry is horrendously annoying throughout the book, this is kind of the point of his character, so overall it was an enjoyable read.

Started

  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

After finishing the Order of the Phoenix I ran a Twitter poll asking what I should read next and the consensus was that I should continue with my Harry Potter re-readathon. I think I may have re-read the Half-Blood Prince before but I’m not entirely sure so I’m pretty excited to begin this one.

The other option in my Twitter poll was The Martian by Andy Weir which I think I will also start reading because I recently watched the film with my boyfriend and was really surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed it a lot. I didn’t get the hype surrounding the film or the book, because like with other space films e.g. Interstellar and Gravity (which I still haven’t seen) I didn’t understand how they could be the least bit interesting. The first line of The Martian was enough to convince me to rent it and I think I’ll probably end up doing a review of it on here because I haven’t done a review for ages and I’ve been wanting to try another one recently.
So that was how my first week of July went, if you have a weekly wrap up on your blog I would love to read it so please do comment below with your links!

Have a lovely Sunday and love to you all,

Zoe