Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books of 2016


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme is the best of 2016. 2016 has been a chaotic year, but with my entry into the book blogging community, my reading has gone through the roof. Here are 10 books which really made 2016 for me:

  1. A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas

SJM has a lot to answer for and a lot of apologies to make in terms of her books and her silence on issues that are so clearly important to readers, but ACOMAF was still one of my favourite reads of the year. It provided me with a community to within the book blogging world to get involved in and a world to escape to when I was feeling pretty low.

  1. You - Caroline Kepnes

This is one of the best thrillers I’ve ever read. I originally gave it 4/5 stars but I decided to up my rating to 5/5 because it’s stuck with me as one of the creepiest books I’ve read and also I haven’t been able to stop talking about it and recommending it to people. Don’t bother reading Hidden Bodies.

  1. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi

This is easily one of the best debuts I’ve ever read. It was such a rich story and a joy to read. Having finished it less than a week ago, I have already ordered my hardback copy so that I can enjoy it again and again and give it to friends.

  1. The Good Immigrant - edited by Nikesh Shukla

One of my favourite nonfiction reads of the year! I think one of the best things about this book is the way it got published - Unbound is such a great idea for publishing and - and the fact that it went on to be voted the British public’s favourite read of 2016 in the Books Are My Bag awards.

  1. Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

I was relatively underwhelmed by the Grisha trilogy when I read it in India, but I was pleased that I had read it before the incredible experience that was Six of Crows. It was sold to me as a fantasy Ocean’s Eleven, which was pretty much all I needed, but then I got the best OTP (Jylan), the best female friendship (Inej and Nina), and a fantastic and exciting plot.

  1. Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This was a read that completely blew me away and has made me fall in love with Adichie’s writing. 2017 will be the year that I read the rest of her backlist!

  1. Illuminae - Amie Kaufman + Jay Kristoff

Winner of the most original read of 2016 goes to Illuminae! I thought this was going to be a much harder read than it was, but it was exciting, enjoyable, and full of thrills. I loved Illuminae and Gemina did a really good job of living up to it’s predecessor. Can’t wait for the third and final one!

  1. Room - Emma Donoghue

Room is such a well written book and is the standard to which I hold any other book with a child’s narrative. It was chilling and a great psychological thriller read! I also highly recommend the film.

  1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling

Whilst on my year abroad, and in a pretty bad place, I decided to join the local library and found the Bloomsbury Children’s editions of HP. I commenced my re-read of the entire series with vigour, and found that GoF - whilst the one I have reread least - is my probably my favourite.

  1. The Little Book of Hygge - Meik Wiking

This was a gift on Christmas Day. On Boxing Day I ordered 2 more books on hygge. Consider me obsessed and moving to Copenhagen asap. Hygge comprises so much of what I like: linguistics, cosiness, happiness, friends. Whilst reading this book, I got a massive case of Fernweh (being homesick for a place you’ve never been to). It was such a cute book, a really interesting nonfic read, and had plenty of photos to keep me entertained!

What were YOUR best books of 2016? I'd love to hear about them! Comment below and if you also did a similar post, don't forget to leave me the link!
Happy reading,
Zoe