Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: 2016 Releases I Didn't Get To


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme is the 2016 books you didn't manage to read in 2016. Entering the book blogging scene in 2016 was fabulous because of all of the wonderful releases, here are a few that I definitely want to get to soon:
  1. The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry

I received this book for my birthday last year, and at the time I wasn’t too bothered about reading it so let one of my friends (which one? I don’t know, I can’t remember) borrow it. Then of course Waterstones named it their Book of the Year, there was even more hype, and now I *really* want to read it.

  1. The Tidal Zone - Sarah Moss

I have actually started this one! I unfortunately had to return it to the library before I went back down South, but I’ve reserved it again so hopefully I will have finished it before too long.
  1. The Muse - Jessie Burton

Another birthday book, this one is everywhere on bookstagram because of its gorgeous cover. The story sounds like it might be a good summer read, which is good because it’s currently sat on my bookshelf at home…

  1. When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi

I’m in two minds about this one: on the one hand, I’ve heard nothing but good things, it sounds fascinating, and is apparently very life-affirming. On the other hand, I’m not a big fan of thinking about death and I’m not sure how ready I am to read such a book. I’ve reserved it at the library, we’ll see how it goes.
  1. The Girls - Emma Cline

Again, this will probably be a summer read. I only know a few things about this one but it sounds intriguing and unlike anything I usually read, so I definitely want to give it a go.

  1. The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware

I read In A Dark Dark Wood around the time that this came out and really enjoyed it. Ever since, I’ve been on the reservation list at the library and - as with The Tidal Zone - I got it but before I had a chance to even open it, I had to give it back. It’s high up on the priority list this year.
  1. Swing Time - Zadie Smith

Yet another book that I have started. Once finished, this will probably be my first Zadie Smith novel. I started listening to this as an audiobook and wasn’t feeling particularly enthusiastic about it, but I think/hope that’s because I’m not a fan of the audiobook narration, so I’ve reserved the physical copy at the library to give it another go and hopefully find out what all the fuss is about.

  1. The Lesser Bohemians - Eimear McBride

Why do I want to read this book? The cover. It’s all about the cover.
  1. Shrill - Lindy West

I’ve been on a bit of a feminism nonfiction binge lately, and this has been on the outer reaches of my radar for a while and now I just keep seeing it everywhere which is a surefire way of something ending up on my TBR.

  1. Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - Yuval Noah Harari

2017 is the year of even more nonfiction. I read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind in 2015 and thought it was excellent, so now of course I need to read this book which is about the future of humankind.

Have you read any of these books? What 2016 releases are you excited to read? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy reading,
Zoe