Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Liked/Disliked More Than I Expected

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme is books I liked or disliked more than I expected. Let’s start off with the positives:

  1. I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I thought that this was just going to be a bog-standard, predictable thriller, but I was completely bowled over by the twists which I didn’t see coming. It was so cleverly written, and it definitely earned a place on my bookshelf.

  1. Illuminae - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

I was intrigued by Illuminae because of its creativity, but sci-fi YA? I was, of course, completely wrong and spent months telling everyone to read it (fortunately someone listened and Anna @ A Literary Potion is currently hooked too).

  1. Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

I set myself up for disappointment after knowing how much hype this book got, and also because I hadn’t particularly enjoyed The Grisha Trilogy. OH HOW WRONG I WAS. This book has some of the most vivid characters I’ve ever read about, and months after finishing Crooked Kingdom, I still haven’t really been able to let go.

  1. The Tidal Zone - Sarah Moss

Literary fiction can sometimes scare me off, but when some of my favourite booktubers proclaimed this as their favourite book of the year, curiosity got the better of me. Much to my own surprise, I loved it. I loved the writing style and felt like I was part of the family and Mim was a simply brilliant character.

  1. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi

This was another case of me setting myself up for disappointment because of the hype and the fact that it’s not the kind of story I usually read, but oh gosh. We all know how much I love this book, and if you haven’t read it yet then go. Now. Read it.

Sometimes, though, hype builds and I end up disappointed:

  1. The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapena

This thriller sounded right up my street but whilst reading I felt like it all got way too out of hand and unbelievable. I will say though that it was fast-paced and got me out of a reading slump so it deserves some praise.


  1. Hidden Bodies - Caroline Kepnes

I loved You and I couldn’t wait for Hidden Bodies - I should have just left it. Hidden Bodies was so tame compared to You, and had nothing of the appeal that sucked me into the first book.


  1. The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King was released just as I started my blog, and I wanted to get to this series and enjoy it along with everyone else. Alas, I was disappointed. People keep saying that the series gets better, but there are too many books and too little time! I want series that grab me from the very beginning!


  1. The Grisha Trilogy - Leigh Bardugo

With that logic, I should never have finished The Grisha Trilogy, but I did. Whilst the world was really interesting, the characters were wet lettuces and I never understood the attraction to The Darkling/Mal/anyone except maybe Nikolai. I am glad I read it though, because it meant I knew the background to the Six of Crows duology.


  1. In The Woods - Tana French

Although I enjoyed the writing style, I thought it this book was anticlimactic and it didn’t go down to well for me. However, I wouldn’t rule out carrying on with the series because from what I know each book is told from a different perspective, and one of my main issues with In The Woods was the main character.

Which books exceeded or didn't meet your expectations? I'd love to hear in the comments below!
Happy reading,
Zoe