Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Book Turn Offs

When it comes to books, I pride myself on not being that picky; if someone talks passionately and long enough about a book, I’ll usually read it regardless of genre/style/focus. There are a few things, though, that will either put me off reading a book or hinder my enjoyment.

  1. Long, descriptive passages about nature

For English Literature A Level, we were split into 2 groups: the Gothic group, and the Pastoral group. I cannot tell you how pleased I was to get Gothic because I just do not have the attention span for long passages of description, especially when it comes to descriptions of nature.

  1. Unrealistic thrillers

I’ve written before about why I read thrillers and how the thrill comes from the events being plausible, they could happen, but they’re not happening to me and I can easily step away from the book. Unrealistic thrillers are therefore a massive turn off for me, for example when a paranormal/supernatural element becomes involved like with Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.

  1. A rushed ending

I finished A Gathering of Shadows yesterday, and as much as I enjoyed it and love the series, it does fall victim to a rushed ending. You suddenly find that the pace has doubled and the climax of the events the rest of the book has been working up to happens in the last 100 pages. It’s such a shame because it can really dampen my experience of reading a book (luckily for AGoS, it didn’t).
  1. A bad audiobook narrator

I am incredibly picky about my audiobook picks, because they are expensive and have to last me a month. I really dislike it when narrators struggle to distinguish between characters well, or can’t do convincing accents, or just simply have a voice I don’t get on with.

  1. Iconic series carried on by someone who isn’t the author

This seems to be happening more (Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Stieg Larsson are all victims). I do see the appeal - I will struggle to let go of Poirot, too, when I finish Agatha Christie’s collection - but I can’t help but feel it just won’t be the same. Seeing new and fantastic writers take up the baton of old favourites only serves to fill me with fear; it won’t be the same, no matter how hard they try.

  1. Stickers printed onto book covers

I hate it when this happens, especially when it’s a “now a major film” or “the book that inspired the TV series” one. We all know how much I dislike stickers on books anyway, but some are at least removable. The ones that are printed on are the devil’s work.

  1. Film cover tie ins

On a TV/film related note - book cover tie ins. No thank you. I’m yet to find one that I actually like, let alone prefer to the original.

  1. Texts/emails written in textspeak

I’m not a fan of texts or emails being incorporated into a book full stop but it really irks me when they’re written in such a way that just makes me cringe. This is a particular problem in YA, where authors are convinced that The Youths are abbreviating words whenever possible and have a complete lack of understanding of grammar and punctuation. I know only one person who actually texts using 2, 4, and ‘u’ and they are my 68 year old grandmother.

What turns you off a book? Are there any things you avoid when it comes to choosing a new read? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy reading, 
Zoe